The Rotarian and “Service”
The emphasis in Rotary is the desire to be of service. Rotarians participate in one of the following areas of service: Club Service, Community Service, Vocational Service and International Service.
The Lafayette Rotary Foundation has partnered with the Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano to feed families in our area, and has matched donations from Rotarians, friends and family of Rotarians on a dollar for dollar basis, up to $15,000!
The COVID 19 Pandemic’s economic impact has in many cases hit hardest on members of our community who can least afford it.The local Food Bank supports 65 partner agencies to supply food and meals to seniors, children, students and families in need. Last year they helped serve meals to 1 in 8 people in Contra Costa and Solano County.
The Rotary Club of Lafayette conducts a wide variety of service activities which include or have included the following:
- Scholarships for school youths
- Concert at the Reservoir with proceeds provided for purchase of musical instruments by participating schoolbands
- Youth leadership programs
- Funds and members’ time for polio prevention and eradication programs
- High School age youth exchange to and from foreign countries
- Town Hall and Lafayette Library financial support
- Lafayette Art and Wine Festival participation
- Meals on Wheels
- Fire truck provided to a rural village in Baja, Mexico
- Water pumping system, Mulege, Mexico
- Water and sanitation for a home on the Navajo Nation Reservation in Arizona
- Jaws of Life for Santa Catarina, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
- “Avoidable Blindness Program” in India
- Shelter boxes to Indonesia and Haiti following earthquakes
- LN-4 Artificial Hand